I don't know about all of you, but there's something about summer that spells dresses to me. All year 'round I love a good dress, but warm weather seems to make me want one extra bad. So this spring/summer I've been working at "collecting" some great cool summer dresses. Here's a round-up of some of our favorite dress patterns this year....
1. Vintage Vogue Gathered Bodice Dress. I recently made this one out of polka dot knit. I love it! Because I'm a bit zipper-shy and was using knit I just skipped the side zipper completely... and it worked! I'm waiting for some navy/white star knit fabric to arrive in the mail so I can make another one for Independence Day (can't wait to see how it turns out!).
2. Retro Butterick Side Swoosh Dress. I'm sewing this one up right now in a stretcy bright yellow denim. Apphia has already made hers up in a nice aqua suiting fabric. The 'swooshy' side makes it a bit more dressy, so it would be perfect to wear to worship or a wedding. I'm hoping the denim fabric I'm using will casualize it a bit, but either way it's too cute to pass up. (Oh, and it reminds Apphia and I of a dress worn in Monkey Business... darling!)
3. Socialite Dress. I made this one last year and it's so fun. It has pockets too and can easily can be lengthened. I've also seen a lady add some little sleeves to it.... too cute.
4. Knit Wrap Dress. Apphia just made this one in a watercolor floral knit, and it's darling! She plans to wear a little camisole with it. Too, too adorable.
5. Retro Butterick Wrap Dress. Great dress! If you'll remember, we've used this pattern before -- right here. I also used it for the bodice of my ever-favorite Gina dress. I'm thinking of making another Gina dress actually. In my humble opinion, it's practically the ultimate go-to summer dress.
6. Amelia Dress. This is such a cute little thing! Abigail made one in bright turquoise and pink floral cotton, and it was darling. I hope to make one sometime.... it's on the to-sew list....
7. Jiffy 1960s Shift Dress. Confession: I've never made this one, and none of the other girls have either. But, it's on my favorite-cutest-thing-ever-love-it-must-have-my-own-copy pattern list. Get a load of that darling collar one, or the bow front one! Eep!
8. Evening Empire Dress. I made this one a few years ago and it remains something I love. I have a feeling that it will always be something that I love, and appreciate the fact that I spent all that time piecing the fun zigzag skirt. I think it would be very cute in just one voile print too in the mid-calf length version!
Does anyone have a favorite dress pattern that I missed (I know there is)? Please do tell!
PS. Abiah and I also have this neat-o Navajo-style knit fabric that's waiting to be made into some casual dresses. If they work out like we hope they will we'll have to share them! xx